The St Martin’s Theatre was designed as one of a pair of theatres with the Ambassadors Theatre by W.G.R. Sprague. The theatre is home to the longest running show in the world, Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap which has been running at the West End venue since March 1974, having transferred from the Ambassadors (where it opened in November 1952).
The St Martin’s Theatre itself opened in 1916, after its construction was delayed by the First World War, and has been the home to many more thrillers and comedies. Many famous British actors have passed through St Martin’s. In April 1923 Basil Rathbone played Harry Domain in R.U.R. and in June 1927 Henry Daniell appeared there as Gregory Brown in Meet The Wife.
Located at the heart of London’s Theatreland and close to Leicester Square underground station, St. Martin’s Theatre has a relatively modest capacity of 550. Its original design was commissioned by Richard Verney, the Baron Willoughby de Broke, and B.A. Myer. The theatre is partially owned by the present Lord Willoughby de Broke.
The theatre was Grade II listed by English Heritage in March 1973.