The Royal Opera House is home to both The Royal Opera and The Royal Ballet, performing with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House.
The current Royal Opera House, with its grand classical portico fronting Bow Street, is actually the third theatre built on the Covent Garden site; the previous 2 buildings were both destroyed by fire. The first important musical works to be heard at the theatre were by Handel, who, from 1735 until his death in 1759, had close links with Covent Garden both as composer and organist. Work on the third and present theatre started in 1857 with designs by E.M. Barry and the new building opened in May 1858 with a performance of Meyerbeer’s Les Huguenots. Barry also designed the striking glass and iron Floral Hall, intended as a flower market but also hosting the occasional ball.
In 1892, with the repertoire broadening, the theatre was renamed the Royal Opera House.