The Lyric Hammersmith is one of the UK’s leading producing theatres. It is known for producing high quality contemporary theatre, alongside a strong focus and dedication to nurturing the creativity of young people.
The Lyric Theatre was originally a music hall established in 1888 on Bradmore Grove, Hammersmith. Success as an entertainment venue led it to be rebuilt and enlarged on the same site twice, firstly in 1890 and then in 1895 by the English theatrical architect Frank Matcham. The 1895 it re-opened as The New Lyric Opera House. In 1966 the theatre was due to be closed and demolished. However, a successful campaign to save it led to the auditorium being dismantled and re-installed piece by piece within a modern shell on its current site on King Street a short distance from the former Bradmore Grove location. The relocated theatre opened in 1979.
The Lyric Hammersmith has two main performance areas: the Main House, a 550 seat 19th-century auditorium and the 120-seat Studio, which houses smaller productions by up-and-coming companies.
The Lyric Bar & Grill, is located upstairs and serves lunch and pre-theatre dinner. On the ground floor, Peyton & Byrne’s bakery and café serves an all day menu.
On the ground floor, Peyton & Byrne’s bakery and café. The Lyric Bar & Grill, is located upstairs serving lunch and pre-theatre dinner.
Accepts Theatre Tokens:
Induction Loop & Sennheiser Infrared
Mens and Womens throughout. There are accessible toilets in the Café, on the Stalls level, on the balcony level near the Creative Space, and a ‘Changing Places’ toilet in the Reuben Foundation Wing.
Guide Dogs Policy:
Access dogs are allowed inside the auditorium. Staff can also dog-sit, returning them to the owner during the interval and at the end of the performance.
The Lyric Hammersmith is a fully accessible building with lifts to all areas. Both the Main House and the Studio, are accessible for wheelchair users.
Access from Street to Foyer:
Ramp & Lift
Access From Theatre Foyer To Seat:
33 steps to Stalls, 26 to Dress Circle and 26 to Upper Circle