The Garrick Theatre is a West End theatre, named after prolific stage actor, producer and theatre manager David Garrick. It is located on Charing Cross Road and is a Grade II listed building.
The theatre was originally designed and built by Walter Emden and C.J Phillips, who had a challenging task as an underground river was discovered whilst it was being built.
The Garrick Theatre was financed by the playwright W.S. Gilbert, who is well known for his Gilbert and Sullivan comedies. It opened in 1889, and in its early years specialised in melodrama, later becoming well known for comedies.
Originally having a capacity of 800 on 4 levels, but the Gallery is no longer used, and so the theatre has a currently capacity of around 700 across three levels.
In 2005, it became one of the five playhouses owned by Nimax Theatres and was beautifully refurbished in early 2017. The interior still has many of its original features which it was required to keep due to its listed status and, with this being the case, it retains its original charm.