The Apollo Theatre is one of the major West End theatres directly on Shaftesbury Avenue and receives many major transfers.
The Apollo opened in February 1901, becoming the fourth theatre to be constructed on the street.
It is a Grade II listed building, with a capacity of 775 seats. It is owned by Nimax Theatres.
Interestingly, owing to the death of Queen Victoria in Januarys 1901, it is the first theatre to be completed in the Edwardian Period. It was designed by Architect Lewin Sharp, his only complete theatre design, and was originally designed for musical theatre. It’s name is taken from the Greek god of the arts, Apollo.