Close to Covent Garden station, the Cambridge Theatre is one of the youngest and most attractive theatres in the West End. It was built for Bertie Mayer and occupies a triangular site which gives it an appearance which gives it an atypical appearance for a West End theatre.
The theatre opened in 1930 with interior decoration by Serge Chemayeff of Waring and Gillow. These were completely restored under the supervision of Carl Toms in 1986.
The theatre has striking interior design. The circular entrance foyer has a bronze frieze depicting nude figures. This is continued into the main foyer which has similar figures on the pillars. These details contributed towards the theatre being awarded Grade II listing by English Heritage in 1999.
The Cambridge Theatre is currently home to the Royal Shakespeare’s production of Roald Dahl’s Matilda.
3 licensed bars. Access information: Drinks may be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. Stalls bar down 22 steps with moveable seats. Royal Circle bar 31 steps from the foyer, another bar in Upper Circle.
Accepts Theatre Tokens:
Mens and Womens throughout. There is an accessible toilet located in the Stalls corridor.
Guide Dogs Policy:
Access dogs are allowed inside the auditorium. Staff can also dog-sit for three dogs per performance in the Manager’s office.
Level access to Stalls. 2 spaces for wheelchair users down a slight slope at N1 and N34, with companions to sit in N30 or N2. Transfer seats for up to 4 wheelchair users and 2 scooter users. The wheelchairs and scooters can be stored and will be retrieved by an usher.
Access from Street to Foyer:
An alternative entrance is available through a third double exit door on Earlham Street.
Access From Theatre Foyer To Seat:
4 steps down from the Main Foyer to the Stalls, 31 up to the back of the Royal Circle (2 steps between rows). 64 steps up to the Upper Circle.