If you’ve not already heard, Kids Week 2021 is now on sale! This year, the much-loved initiative offers half-price tickets for families for performances throughout August and is a great opportunity to introduce children to theatre and new shows they’ve never seen before.
Unlike film, theatre doesn’t have an official age classification organisation. Under each of our show listings, you will find the age suitability but as these are subjective, they should be treated as guidelines. Please use your judgement and if you’re unsure about any of the themes or content within the show, you can always reach out to our Customer Care team who will be more than happy to tell you more, or you can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
This year, we’ve got lots of exciting new shows available in Kids Week including musicals, something for the teenagers and shows for the whole family. Check them out below!
Age Suitability: 12+
- This movie-turned-musical follows the story of a young woman who spends most of her time daydreaming and helping others with small but extraordinary acts of kindness. When she gets a chance at happiness and love, she must find the courage to say how she really feels or risk losing it all.
- The main themes in this fun and quirky show include kindness, gratitude, connection, empathy and learning to see possibilities in all corners of life; all of which can be inspiring and encouraging for children to see play out on stage.
- “Joyful, heartfelt, quirky, full of life, full of talent”, and with plenty of brilliant messaging about love and life, Amélie The Musical is a great light-hearted option for families to enjoy this summer.
Age suitability: 5+
- Anything Goes is a timeless musical comedy that first premiered on Broadway in 1934 and transferred to the West End a year later, much to everyone’s excitement.
- Set on the S.S America en route from New York to England, the show tells the story of two unlikely pairs who set off on the course to find true love with a little help from their all-singing all-dancing crew friends.
- If you’re kids are into performing arts or musical theatre, this much-loved classic is a must-see as it features some of theatres most-loved songs and is packed with brilliant rhymes, fantastic dance numbers and is guaranteed to leave you singing and dancing all the way home.
Age Suitability: 8+
- Emma Rice (Romantics Anonymous, Wise Children) and the Wise Children Company are bringing Percy and Eleonore Adlon’s iconic 1987 film Bagdad Cafe to The Old Vic stage with their signature playful, visual and emotional style.
- Follow the story of two women, who, when thrown together by chance find an unexpected and extraordinary friendship beginning to unfold.
- This joyful celebration of togetherness, hope and friendship and is the perfect show to see with children and a great way to celebrate theatre returning #BackOnStage.
Age suitability: 12+
- This mind-bendingly fun Broadway phenomenon is all about a nerdy guy who wants to fit in, a girl who wants to be a noticed, and the supercomputer inside the guys head that tells him what to do (and wants to take over the world!)
- The show takes a real deep dive into school life as a teen and explores peer pressure, social media and the pressure to find themselves; all of which teens can relate to. And if they’re into video gaming and technology, this is sure to be a pleaser!
- With addictively catchy songs (that have streaming numbers into the millions!) and some really relatable messaging, Be More Chill will inspire and encourage teens to be themselves, and most importantly, be confident in who they are, no matter what pressures they face at school.
Age suitability: 5+
- The record-breaking Cirque Berserk! is Britain’s biggest theatre circus spectacular featuring incredibly talented acts from around the world including over thirty jugglers, acrobats, aerialists, dancers, daredevil stuntmen, not to forget the hair-raising circus act of the legendary morotcycle Globe of Death.
- The show is filled with amazing costumes and jaw-dropping lively stunts that create a real energetic and fun atmosphere, guaranteed to keep kids entertained throughout.
- Albeit nail-biting at times, there are some comical aspects to the show that creates an all-rounded family-friendly show.
Age suitability: 8+
- This ground breaking immersive theatrical adventure will plunge you into a journey across space and time and will allow you to be immersed into the world of Doctor Who like never before.
- If your children are fans of the Sci-Fi serial, they’ll be thrilled to know that the experience features original costumes and props used across various episodes.
- The immersive experience means your family will have the chance to mingle with Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels and a host of other well-known characters while you attempt to save the universe.
Age suitability: 7+
- If your children loved the classic DreamWorks movie, they will be blown away as it comes to life on stage, transporting you to the shifting sands of Ancient Egypt.
- Fans of the movie will also be pleased to know that the show will feature 10 new songs and 5 of the acclaimed songs from the film, including Deliver Us, All I Ever Wanted, Through Heaven’s Eyes and When You Believe.
- With a huge cast and orchestra of 60 artists, stunning grand costumes not to mention an incredibly beautiful moving set, this phenomenal production is truly epic. If you’re introducing your kids to theatre, this big-scale production is guaranteed to wow them and really encourage them to see more.
Age suitability: 5+
- In this brand new West End show, you and your family can expect the very best in comedy, illusion, magic, entertainment and mystery.
- An extra reason to love this show is because you, the audience members, are an essential part of the show. You and your family will be left in shock and utter surprise with all the mind-boggling and jaw-dropping magical tricks.
- You can expect stunning hula hoop artists who combine hooping with rollerskating and dance, the multi-award-winning Mind Reader and TV star Chris Cox and Britain’s Got Talent star Josephine Lee, the most talked about woman in magic – a great way to capture the attention of your children while introducing them to the world of magic in a fun theatre atmosphere.
From West End classics to shows for younger kids, we’ve got plenty of other exciting shows available in Kids Week 2021, so click the button below and find out what else is on offer.